Hello Residential Students,
We understand that you may have questions about your living situation following the university’s announcement that exams scheduled for Friday, Dec. 17 through the end of the semester will be held virtually because we have identified a significant increase in positive COVID- 19 cases among members of our university community. Read the university announcement.
Even though exams will be offered virtually and there will be limited in-person gatherings on campus, we are not closing the residence halls. As previously communicated, residence halls will remain open until Thursday, Dec. 23 at noon.
However, in consideration of the university’s announcement that notes the Omicron variant is spreading more rapidly as compared to other variants, if you are able to make arrangements to depart campus earlier than originally planned to take your remaining exams from your Winter Break destination, we encourage you to do so.
ACTION REQUESTED: In order for us to get a more up-to-date count of who is in the residence halls during this evolving time period, please complete this CLRE Winter Break 2021 Departure Form with your departure date and time. Note: This form replaces the information you provided to us earlier in the semester on the housing e-portal about your plans for winter break.
As You Depart Campus: Don’t forget to pack and take your valuables, mobile devices, laptops, medications, passports/drivers license, as well as any other necessities that you will need with you while you are away from campus. On Dec. 23 at noon, your GWorld Card will be turned off and you will not be able to re-enter to retrieve an item you forgot until your spring semester return date. GW staff are unable to grant access to rooms during break. **Also, see below the Winter Break Departure Checklist that you should follow as you depart campus.
- Please continue to take your scheduled COVID tests at the campus testing center until you depart for break. The testing centers will remain open until Dec. 23, but may need to adjust their hours.
- Effective immediately, all in-hall programming has been canceled. Activities and study breaks sponsored by the Community Coordinators will not be held.
- Effective immediately, no non-residential guests are allowed within the halls. This means no outside guests/visitors. A non-residential individual includes family, friends, off-campus students, or other GW community members who do not live in a residence hall. **Exception: You may have up to two individuals help you move your belongings out of your room as you depart. They may stay for up to two hours.
- Neighborhood hubs will remain open tonight and Thursday night to check-out/borrow items only. Small in-person gatherings will be discouraged. The hubs will close on Friday, Dec. 17 for the remainder of the semester, except to check-out blue carts.
- Study lounges will remain open. We encourage you to socially distance yourselves from your peers while studying. For students on the Mount Vernon Campus, Eckles Library will not be open. Additional study space will be available in Ames and West Halls.
- The Pelham Commons Dining Hall will remain open and will be shifting to a grab and go option as soon as possible. Foggy Bottom dining partners in Shenkman and District House will remain open but may adjust their operating hours.
- Students who are also student staff working for CLRE: you will receive a separate communication from your supervisor or an Assistant Director later today. First and foremost, if you have the chance to depart early, please do not stay just to complete your shift. We will find coverage for you and you will be paid for the shifts you were previously scheduled to work.
- Students who were approved to remain in campus housing for all or part of winter break will be able to remain on campus as previously arranged. If your plans have changed, please update your information on the “Action Requested: Winter Break Departure Form”. A separate communication will be sent to this group in the coming days with additional information.
- Students who are moving out of their room and not returning for the spring semester: Please proceed with your move-out as scheduled. If you need to adjust your move-out to an earlier time, please note your date change in the “Action Requested: Winter Break Departure Form”. As a reminder, blue carts are available in the neighborhood hubs.
- Students who are scheduled to change rooms between fall and spring semester: Your Community Coordinator or another member of the CLRE team will be in contact on how best to conduct your move.
- If you test positive for COVID and cannot travel by bus, train, plane or other transit to your winter break destination, the Student Affairs liaison assigned to you to help answer questions during your isolation period will adjust your departure date in the e-portal based on when GW’s medical advisory group releases you from isolation. Please know that if you test positive this week, you will be in isolation for a minimum of 10 days. If you are able to travel to your winter break destination by automobile, you will be able to depart and those arrangements can be made through your staff liaison.
Please continue to monitor your GW email for both university and residence hall specific updates throughout winter break as we prepare for the Spring 2022 semester.
We realize that these updates may disrupt your plans. However, it is important to continue to prioritize the safety and health of our students, faculty, and staff. In the coming days, we ask for your cooperation and understanding as we all work together to take care of ourselves and each other.
Also, we anticipate that we will get a lot of questions to our main phone line and main email inbox in the next few days. Thank you for your patience as we prioritize the most pressing needs of our residents as we help you get home to your friends and family safely.
Your GW Campus Living and Residential Education Team:
Seth, Stewart, Greg, Charlotte, Dan, Lauren, Jeff, Capria, Karen, Raleigh, Megan, Wildon, Jess, Erik, Erica, Kiara, Kaitlyn, Brian, Toni, Catherine, Sonia, Casey, Don, Allen, Ashleigh, Susana, Jessie, Chelsey, Julian, Adria, Allie, Maddie, Marissa, Joy, Emily
Reminder: Your Winter Break Departure Checklist:
As you pack and prepare your room to be away for several weeks, we ask that you complete this Winter Break Departure Checklist by performing the following tasks:
Turn your thermostat to low (72 degrees F | 20 degrees C). Please DO NOT turn off your thermostat. We need all thermostats to remain on to help the building’s overall temperature stay comfortable for those remaining in the building. Having the heat on low also helps with proper building humidity levels and keeps pipes at room temperature if the weather is below freezing for an extended time.
- Remove all perishable items from your refrigerator, freezer, and cabinets.
- Do not leave dirty dishes in the dishwasher, sink, counters, or on top of your bookcase.
- Throw out all the trash in your unit.
- Check that your kitchen and bathroom sinks and showerheads are off, toilets are not running, and radiators are not leaking.
- Unplug electronics except refrigerator and microwave.
- Make sure your items are in your bed space/area. Any rooms with empty bed spaces should be completely cleared, in preparation for a new roommate.
- Close and lock all windows and doors and close blinds if on the first floor.
- Submit any repair request via FixIt for any damages, missing furniture, and/or items needing repair.