Updated: October 22, 2021
Dear GW Community,
Many of our community members are planning travel over the upcoming Fall Break and the Thanksgiving holiday. As you make your plans, we encourage you to review guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on how to protect yourself and others when you travel.
- Wear a mask on planes, buses, trains and other forms of public transportation traveling into, within or out of the United States, as required.
- Follow all state, local or international recommendations and requirements, including mask wearing and social distancing.
- Wear a mask in crowded outdoor settings and for activities with close contact with others who are not fully vaccinated.
Holidays and celebrations are often a time to gather with family and friends. However, they can also be risky for COVID-19 if you are in close proximity to others with whom you do not normally live, especially if they are unvaccinated. Here are some tips for safe celebrations and gatherings:
- Have conversations ahead of time to understand expectations of celebrating together.
- Do not attend if you have any symptoms of COVID or have been recently exposed, and ask the same of others.Have outdoor celebrations if possible.
- If celebrating indoors in a group, and if not actively eating and drinking, wear a mask.
- If celebrating indoors, and weather permitting, open windows to allow fresh air.
Following your travel, please be aware of testing and quarantine requirements and recommendations.
If you are fully vaccinated:
Following domestic travel, you are strongly encouraged to schedule a COVID-19 test at a GW testing center within 3-5 days after travel. You are advised to self-monitor for symptoms of COVID-19 for 14 days after travel. Travel quarantine is not required. You may schedule a test at GW or submit results from an external test site.
Following international travel, a COVID-19 test is required at your departure location. You are required to test again 3-5 days after travel and self-monitor for symptoms for 14 days. Travel quarantine is not required.
If you have an exemption to GW’s vaccine requirement and are unvaccinated:
You must report any travel outside of D.C., Maryland or Virginia in your daily symptom screener. Upon returning to the District, per D.C. Health guidance, you must follow the protocol for travel quarantine.
Thank you for your continued cooperation, and we wish you safe travels.